Idioms of Idiots
Do you ever say something and people look at you like you’re
crazy? Not because you are crazy, but because you just responded with “sploosh”
and a peculiar hand movement to them saying something innocuous like “can you
put sunscreen on my back?”. Every social circle has its own little things
unique to it – and language is probably one of the more fascinating deviations.
Just as there are certain things I would never say around my family, there are
certain phrases I’m more likely to use. The same goes for certain friends. I
could make up (or heaven forbid, research) where these linguistic peculiarities
come from and say something profound about it, or I could just entertain myself
with some of the more unique developments I have experienced.
“The nurses are singing”
When I was younger, we had a physical copy of a newspaper
delivered to our house every Sunday. You know you’re getting old when the thing
you used to do as a child no longer exists. Anyway, I loved to read it while
eating my breakfast, it made me feel fancy and adult. Why don’t I do this now that
I am a fancy adult you say, because reading stories on my iPad interspersed with
Facebook notifications, ads for bikini body challenges and battery warning
reminders just doesn’t have quite the same feel to it. I can’t recall what year
it was, but my sister and I were barely teenagers, so let’s say it was around
2002. The lift-out magazine had an opinion piece that perfectly described a
situation that happened in our family quite regularly. My sister, bless her,
has an amazing skill where she occasionally listens to something you say,
immediately forgets it, and then repeats it thirty seconds later as if it was her
own original thought. She is completely oblivious to you saying the thing first,
it’s both amusing and frustrating. We all do it of course, but my sister does
it enough that it became a sticking point.
In the article the author describes a family movie where,
for no apparent reason, a bunch of nurses burst into song mid-scene. In shock
and bemusement, one after another the members of his family say aloud ‘huh - the
nurses are singing’, without realising someone before them has already pointed out
the obvious. This event gave name to an otherwise hard to explain human
curiosity, whereby anytime someone repeated something another had just said,
the phrase ‘the nurses are signing’ would be trotted out to indicate, ‘yes,
thank you dingbat, I just said that’. His article spoke to exactly what I am
writing about right now, certain phrases that become adopted to just one
particular group of people, how meta. And
so a random journalists family curiosity became our own family curiosity. I
have on more than one occasion said to someone outside my immediate family, ‘the
nurses are singing’, and then promptly been added to their mental list of
people to avoid in the future.
"And then I had a meat grinder …"
My dear sister isn’t the only one with peculiar
communication skills. I have inherited a terrible, if amusing, family trait
from my Nan. For most of my childhood it was a well-established joke that Nan
had a knack of saying the wrong thing, at the wrong time, all while not
realising it. Imagine my horror when I discovered that this was how I was to
take after her, not with fantastic croquet skills, or Christmas cake baking
abilities, but with a talent for shocking and offending accidentally and occasionally
obliviously. You’ve probably seen it happen to others, something hilarious is
said which out of context and in isolation is awkward and embarrassing, and so
by a cruel twist of fate it is said exactly as the room goes silent. I have
this skill in spades. I have been caught making lewd jokes that sound worse
than they are to close friends in front of senior pastors, giving seemingly
inappropriate advice to small children by their parents and saying sexist comments,
that were actually sarcastic, in the office.
The best example of this though is the one my family has
chosen to name this skill after. At my 21st birthday party, late in
the evening, around a campfire we were discussing the fine upstanding adult I
had become – this included laughing about my horrendous skill for saying the
wrong thing at the wrong time. By way of example, I explained to the group that
what would usually happen is I would be saying something completely fine, but
that sounds awkward out of context like, “and then I had a meat grinder coming
out of my butt”, and then the room would go silent. Except I never got to the
part of explaining the room going silent, because of course, the entire camp ground felly stunningly
silent right as I said the awkward phrase and the forty odd guests in the
vicinity erupted into fits of laughter, howls of shock and incredulous
questions of how, why, what and when. The phenomena of saying the wrong thing,
at the wrong time is now affectionately known to my family as a ‘meat grinder
moment’, but I refuse to explain it in public, lest the moment occur in the act
of describing it.
Comments
Post a Comment