Corporate Bullshit
This past two weeks has been tiring, exhausting even. It has
been the pinnacle of corporate bullshit, politics and time-wasting. The new
financial year has started, and with that comes a huge amount of planning for
the financial year ahead and setting of targets for our sales colleagues. Every
year we go through the mammoth task of analysing past performance, predicting
future performance, and balancing the two to come up with a target. Every year
management completely ignore our suggestions and say “I want 6% growth on
actual”. And yet, every year we live in hope that they might listen to our rationalisation
and give us a reasonable target. Alas, that is not how sales works.
A few weeks ago, that mammoth process kicked off again.
Spreadsheets with thousands of line items were created, computers put to their
limits and nested IF functions were used that are so complicated they’d make a
CPA qualified excel-guru cry. The hardest part though, is pitching it to
management. The lowly analysts (that’s me and my trusty Finance colleague, let’s
call her, Amber) understand the pitch inside out because we’ve spent weeks
working on the data, understanding the inputs and building a case for the
adjustments. We get an hour to pitch it to my boss to prepare him for his half
hour pitch to his boss. Some people (Amber) get very stressed about this
process, however I know that they will ignore our suggestions and ask for that
trusty 6%, so I don’t get too caught up in it emotionally, professionally is
another thing entirely.
This year, the pitch to my boss for the data was scheduled
for a day I had annual leave. I cancelled the annual leave day to make the
meeting because I’m the world’s most dedicated employee of all time. My boss
didn’t show up for the meeting and Amber spent the whole meeting being confused
about what we’ve just spent four weeks working on. To say I was pissed, was an
understatement.
The meeting with my boss was rescheduled for yesterday. Amber
asked for a pre-meeting the week before to prepare her for the meeting. We had
the pre-meeting, but Amber wasn’t ready for it, so instead she spent the whole
meeting being confused about what we’ve just spent four weeks working on. So,
Amber asked for another pre-meeting on Tuesday afternoon. Guess who wasn’t
ready for that meeting either? We scheduled a final pre-meeting meeting on
Wednesday. We sort of got there. She was comfortable, I was resigned to a
lifetime of eye-twitching caused by all the eye rolling I’d done. Finally,
yesterday, we had the meeting with my boss to prepare him for his meeting with
his boss. At this point I have attended five pre-meeting meetings for the
meeting. My boss asked for a final pre-meeting meeting between him and I, to
prepare him for his meeting. I closed my twitching eyes and tried to think
about how much worse my life would be if I worked somewhere else.
Eventually, my boss was prepped and tottered off to THE
meeting that all this effort went into. Guess what happened at the meeting?
Management asked for 6% growth on actual and all our work (and meetings) was essentially
worthless. But don’t worry, my boss now wants to meet with another section of
management to discuss what that target would look like. So I now have a
pre-meeting meeting with Amber so we can prepare her for the pre-meeting preparation
meeting with her boss before he meets my boss.
Just fucking kill me now.
Comments
Post a Comment